The Code of Ethics provides the necessary human framework for the MTAA Standards of Practice. Together, the Code of Ethics and the Standards of Practice present a clearly defined foundation for the profession of Massage Therapy in Alberta.
This project would not have been possible without the dedication of the Board of Directors along with input and assistance from the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario. Thank you to all those volunteers who contributed their time, expertise, insight and continual support throughout the process.
Code of Ethics
- Have a sincere commitment to provide the highest quality of care to those who seek their professional service.Acknowledge the confidential nature of all professional relationships and respect them accordingly.
- Strive for professional excellence through regular assessment of personal strengths, limitations and effectiveness.
- Respect the integrity of all persons by respecting their verbal, physical, sexual and financial borders.
- Refer clients with conditions beyond their expertise and education to the appropriate health care professional.
- Endeavor to protect all members of the Massage Therapist Association of Alberta collectively and individually from misrepresentation and misunderstanding.
- Not misrepresent themselves or their work to the public or their professional Association.
- Always develop the client-therapist relationship in the best interest of the client.
- Ensure that all persons basic rights are upheld at all times.
- Conduct themselves in their professional lives in a manner that will enhance the image of the Massage Therapy Profession as a whole.